Sunday, August 31, 2008

My husband broke.

So on Friday nights we usually go to my parents' house, where Josh and my dad do jiu jitsu. (my parents have a karate studio in their garage) It's a fun hobby that they both love, and Josh studies it every second he gets. He hadn't been majorly injured yet, just a lot of rug burns, horrible looking bruises, and sore backs, but nothing requiring a hospital visit.

Until Friday night.

I was outside with the boys, who were swimming with their Mimi, when my dad came out and said, "Um Christy? I think I broke your husband..." I walk into the garage and immediately noticed Josh's shoulders looked deformed. Plus he looked weird, like he was about to pass out. I got closer and noticed a large bump coming out of his shoulder, like a bone is sticking out. Not good. Needless to say I took him to the hospital.

Luckily nothing is broken, but it would almost be better if something was! He basically separated his shoulder. From what I've come to understand, the AC joint is what holds the clavicle (collar bone) to the shoulder bone. He separated that, so it's not holding it down and the bone sticking up is actually his collar bone. After x-rays and being in the ER for 3 hours, the doctor came in and said, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is nothing is broken. The bad news is you have to wait till Tuesday and get into an orthopedic surgeon ASAP to fix it." And with that, he left Josh with enough Percocet and Ibuprofen to last until Tuesday.

Not good. So basically I will be calling every orthopedic surgeon on our insurance first thing Tuesday to see who can get him in that day, and hope that he won't need surgery! In the meantime he hasn't been able to go to work...or really do anything but lay in bed. He's being as tough as he can but I've never seen him in so much pain, even walking is painful. He has a brace to keep his arm stable. I had to cut his shirt off of him Friday night and he could barely get his biggest button down shirt on. We took a couple pictures, we have one where it shows both his shoulders so you can really see the difference but I've been instructed not to post that. He didn't even want me to blog about it in the first place because he doesn't want anyone worrying about him. But I am worried so I'm blogging!

5 comments:

Mrstx said...

My husband does jiu jitsu too. He used to train in AZ at Brausa and he went into a cage fight and broke his collar bone too. His collarbone was separated at his sternum instead but he didn't need surgery. It reconnected itself over time but he still has a huge lump that he calls 'his alien'. He was lucky that when it separated that it went 'out' instead of 'in'. If it went 'in', it would have punctured his lung.

This was years before I met him when he got injured. He still does jiu jitsu when he finds a willing neighbor but he basically throws them around like rag dolls because they don't have any technical knowledge of the sport. Too bad we dont' live closer. Jeff needs someone that can choke him out from time to time, lol.

Unknown said...

YIKES! Tell Josh that we are thinking of him. Let us know if he has to have surgery or not.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!! Bless his heart! Keep us updated! We will be praying for him. Poor guy. :(

JEnny

P.S. for some reason I wasn't able to sign in!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Ouchy!! Tell Josh to be more careful! Good luck with everything - hopefully no surgery will be necessary!

Mrstx said...

OH and I showed Jeff your husband shoulder and he recoiled in horror and then laughed and said it looked like it hurt.

I knew he would appreciate it. :D