Friday, September 5, 2008

Josh Update

So after a lo-o-ong weekend where I tried to keep Josh heavily medicated, Tuesday finally came around. I called no fewer than 6 doctors to find one who could see him that day, as opposed to their next available appts. that were next week.

The doctor said that he had 2 choices. Let it repair on its own, which would mean that bump in the picture below would be permanent, or surgery to move the collar bone down and repair the ligament, and the accompanying risks that go along with any surgery. It was totally up to Josh. I felt like punching the doctor but that's a story for another day. Or maybe not, no need for me to get riled up again. Anyway, long story short, Josh decided on surgery.

You see, Josh has a very very very very strong aversion to any kind of deformity. Can you imagine what he would feel like having that bump permanently? Also, he read a lot of stuff online about how if you don't have it repaired, you can actually hear and feel the protruding collar bone "clicking" and "popping" and "rubbing". Although those things wouldn't necessarily hurt, it would be disturbing. Especially since he is already counting down the days until he can return to jiu jitsu-ing. Also, if he did allow it to heal on it's own, there was the possibility that he would still be having pain a year from now, and end up having to have surgery anyway. Only if he waited, the ligament would not be able to be repaired, and instead the surgery would involve cutting off the end of the collar bone. (ew)

So anyway, surgery is Monday afternoon. I hope it goes well! I hope it's the right decision. Only time will tell!

4 comments:

Denisse said...

Oh man!!!! Poor guy!!!!! I hope everything goes well...

Rachel Hanchett said...

Hey I hope the surgey went well and please call me if you need anything...watch the boys, bring you dinner, etc.!

Unknown said...

Oh - good luck with the surgery. Recovery from surgery is not very fun.

Oh and I'm sure Neil would give dancing lessons but just to warn you, he does some booty shakin'!

Jenny said...

I say surgery was they way to go! I also say punch the doctor, after the surgery of course! He was a punk! Good luck!