Monday, September 29, 2008

Deep thoughts on a Monday...

First of all, here's something funny:
Yesterday at church, I was on my own because Josh's shoulder is still bothering him. Anyway, I was trying to hold Samuel on my lap, and keep J.J. and Trey quiet and stop them from running around the chairs chasing each other. I was trying to explain to them that we're in Jesus' "house" and He wants us to be quiet, etc. Anyway, lately both boys have been having an issue with "talking back" to us when we tell them anything. So when they do this, we've been putting a drop of hot sauce on their tongue. It works REALLY well. Anyway, so at church I told them both to be quiet. J.J. immediately pipes up with, "No YOU be quiet Mommy!" (I know, how can such a little angel be such a smart mouth?) So I told him, "Uh oh, what happens when you talk back to Mommy?" A puzzled look crosses his face and I can tell he's thinking something over. After a minute he asks me, "Does Jesus have hot sauce too?"

I love my boys so much. They are crazy and loud and so full of personality I can't believe it. Sometimes things get so hectic with my job and all the household stuff, running errands, taking the boys back and forth to school, etc. I know I don't enjoy the little moments with them as much as I should. Yesterday I was folding about 8 loads of laundry and watching the boys play in the family room. Samuel was standing holding onto a chair. Suddenly he let go, very deliberately, and stood on his own for about 15 seconds. His little legs were a little shaky and he was trying his hardest to balance. But he didn't fall, and then he very carefully held back onto the chair.

Anyway, for some reason that made it SO real to me that my boys are growing up faster than I know. It seems like yesterday I held Samuel in my arms for the very first time, now he's trying to stand on his own already. He'll be a year old in a couple weeks! This is probably my last baby and I feel like I just missed his entire babyhood. I was too busy worrying about getting my work hours in, making sure I caught that sale on diapers, and stressing about the dirty kitchen floor.

I'm going to really try to enjoy my boys more. I can't guarantee I won't still stress about...everything. I am a VERY high stress person in general and let's face it, it would take a miracle get rid of my anxiety level. But these boys are only little once and I don't get a second chance to enjoy them!

7 comments:

Rachel Hanchett said...

I totally agree, I feel like I'm missing it too and eventhough we spend all day with them are we really spending time "with" them? I'll take you up on that challenge!

Mrstx said...

Seriously! You know what though...I suddenly feel like I am on easy street. Too easy maybe. It makes me think of having another baby. Then I snap out of it, lol.

motivated said...

I really liked your blog. :) And personally... I think your'e more calm than a lot of other women I know our age. :) You haven't snapped yet, right? hahaha In all seriousness, I think you're really strong and can keep your cool a lot better than most!

wendy said...

Christy, that was a really sweet post. It is so hard to 'be there'. Time does go so fast, and I do know that, especially right now. It seems like it was just yesterday that we were watchng Cody cross all those milestones that Shelby is now crossing. I am so sad about how fast it goes but so thankful that I get to enjoy these sweet moments! Did anyone ever tell us it was gonna be this hard?

Unknown said...

Trey, once again you had me rolling on the floor in laughter. :)

Denisse said...

I can TOTALLY relate Christy!!! Sometimes it's just so hard to enjoy the everyday life with children, but it's true they grow so fast and these times are never coming back! I can tell you are a great mom Christy, and you are there for them to love them and meet their needs! you are doing everything that a good mommy does!!! :)

Jenny said...

I was just talking to my friend about this about 30 minutes. I think as mom we play this game all the time. We try and get everything done: job, laundry, clean the house, etc. Then we try and play with the kids...I am grateful for those little moments when we notice things, like your youngest standing on his own for a minutes because they make me realize what is important in life. Our sweet little ones, our families. (Then I beat myself up for all the past time I have worried about cleaning the house rather than creating wonderful memories for my children.) It is a hard life being a parent!

P.S. I have been thinking about this very topic for a week or so. That is way I posted that poll about how clean was your house as a child. I was hoping that my lack up being about to juggle everything (the house taking the brunt of it) was normal. But after looking at the votes, it looks like I need to kick my rear into gear! You are a great mom!