Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Ex Factor

So I ran into my ex at the grocery store. It was...weird. Without going into all of the gory and disturbing details, this was not a good relationship. I probably could write a soap opera, put it on prime time, and make a bunch of cash. Anyway, we broke up 12 years ago, and I haven't seen or talked to him since shortly after I met my husband, over 8 years ago. It's funny how seeing your ex, no matter how long ago it was, or how different you are now as a person, it can almost immediately transfer you back in time. It reminds you of the person you used to be, and I didn't like it much. I was so...timid, self-conscious, didn't stand up for myself, etc. On a positive note though, it reminded me of how far I've come and changed for the better. (and also how much I LOVE my husband and am so glad I found him!)

It was also funny to see him because I seriously was struck dumb. I didn't have a single thing to say. He talked and talked and talked (kinda nervously) and I just pretty much stood there. I couldn't think of a single thing to say on what I've been up to the last 8 years. Although I guess the kids in my shopping cart said more than words could have right? haha... It's just funny because when I've imagined running into an ex in the past, I pictured myself being confident, witty, smart, and of course looking absolutely perfect. Yeah...none of that happened.

Anyway, I was very happy to see that he seems to be doing really well. Graduated college, good job, married, etc. I know some people wish the worst on their ex's, but I have never really understood that. Showing that kind of emotion always makes me think you still care too much about your ex. You know? I've always hoped that he found happiness and success in life, and now by all appearances, it appears he has!

5 comments:

PAPA BIG DOG said...

Christy

WE are so glad your met and married Josh also. He and all of us are so blessed to have you!!

motivated said...

Maybe you should write a soap opera... or a book! You'd be the next Stephenie Meyer, lol. :)

Anonymous said...

exs suck!

Mrstx said...

Thankfully all of my ex's live in AZ and I'm in Texas now so there is zero chance of an accidental meeting.

From what I can tell though, my ex's are all happy and healthy which oddly gives me a sense of peace. I guess when you have really loved someone, you do wish them the best in their life. Even if you wanted to strangle them while you were dating. :D

One of my ex's is dating a friend of a friend now actually and I'm really happy for both of them. I don't think I will be invited to their wedding if it happens though. Word on the street is that he HATES me. Oh well, lol!

AZ Larsens said...

Yes Stella, you described it perfectly, I do feel a sense of peace! Well said.