Tuesday, January 26, 2010

One year older and wiser too!

My birthday was about a week ago. I turned 31, which means I am officially in my 30's now. There is no going back.

I have to say, in spite of the realization that my grey hairs and wrinkles aren't going anywhere, this was one of the best birthdays I've ever had! A few years ago I read a post about a woman who had her family drop her off at a hotel and leave her there alone for Mother's Day. That's what she wanted, a night/day to herself! The idea of doing that on Mother's Day isn't something I personally would want, but a day/night to myself? YES PLEASE! And what better day to do that than your birthday! So J and I have decided to start a new tradition. On our birthdays, the other spouse will take over the kids, cooking, cleaning, etc., and allow the birthday girl/boy to do whatever they want! What more could a person want?

Let me just say, it was the best present this tired mom has ever received. I laid in bed most of the morning reading. (The Time Traveler's Wife, I highly recommend it.) Josh made me an awesome breakfast which I decided to come out and enjoy with my family. Then afterward, right back in my room to read! I took a nice long shower, watched some TV, read some more, came out to be with my kids, then when things started getting crazy again, I escaped right back in my room to let J deal with it!

It was the best birthday ever.
Thanks J, for making my birthday a relaxing one! Is it weird to say I can't wait until I turn 32 next year?

4 comments:

Alicia Curtis said...

That's awesome.

Unknown said...

LOL! Love it. Happy birthday.

Unknown said...

Such a great idea. Especially when you get older...who cares about celebrating. I'd rather lay around any day.

obewize said...

It's true though. Sometimes the best gift you can ever give or receive is time.