Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Swimming lesson blues

So, swimming lessons started last night for J.J. and Trey. I was very nervous for it. I wasn't sure that J.J. was going to go into his class at all, what with the crazy anxiety attacks he had for the first 3 weeks of summer preschool. But amazingly enough, he went right in! Of course I was right there at the pool with him and every 2 minutes he would look for me and wave and say, "I love you Mommy!" But I don't mind that so much! :)

Trey on the other hand... I knew it was going to be bad. At my mom's pool he won't even get in the water unless we drag him in screaming. But I had hopes, high hopes, that being in a class with other kids and a fun teacher would make a difference. I was clearly delusional. Instead, as soon as they called his name to join his class, he took off running! I literally had to chase him down and carry him back to his class screaming. Luckily, I wore my swimsuit under my clothes because I had to get in with him. He ran off a couple more times and cried about 75% of the lesson. I guess I endured 8 weeks of swimming lessons last summer in a "mommy and me" class with him, while I was 5-6 months pregnant mind you, for nothing! He doesn't remember a thing and actually, has regressed as far as being comfortable in the water. Oh well.

I also have been reminded, again, that I need to teach my children how to be politically correct. There were 3 incidents at the pool last night to drive this point home.

1. J.J. sees a rather large woman with her child in the baby pool and says, loudly, "Mommy, why is that big huge girl in the baby pool?"
2. Trey sees a black lifeguard and says, "Mommy! Look at that lifeguard, he's all black!"
3. J.J. sees a very overweight woman in the locker room afterwards with her kids and points saying, "Mommy, look at that big huge mommy over there!"

All were said in the innocence of childhood of course, but still... In Trey's defense, all those 16-17 year old lifeguards, even the white ones, practically looked black! Someone needs to teach them about skin cancer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha... I guess they got their good sense of humor from their mom... hilarious...

wendy said...

ohhh that is so funny. I feel for you. My son cody has had some great ones in the past! He once told a guy he was going to DIE! b/c he was smoking. kids are fun!

Angela said...

Awww, kids are so honest. Sometimes it's hard not to laugh at what they say.

My youngest sister lifegards, every day she is more tan than the day before. I tried to give her the older sister advice telling her that she will regret it in a few years. But teenagers know it all, so she thinks i'm wrong (even though i'm speaking from expierence).

I hope the swim lessons get better!!!