Thursday, February 4, 2010

Snow Day!

A couple weeks ago Arizona got the biggest rain storm I've ever seen in my 25 years of living here. I guess they had a big storm in the 80's too, but I don't remember that. Anyway my point is, when it pours rain like that down in the valley, that means snow in the mountains! And yes, Arizona does actually have mountains where it snows. We can go from this:To this:
Within 20 minutes!
We drove up to Payson, AZ which is about an hour and a half away, it's desert all the way like the top picture, then suddenly within 20 minutes you're in pine trees and snow. I wish we could move up there...

We found a good spot to stop and play, and I managed to get our van stuck in the snow/ice/mud immediately upon pulling off the road. How embarrassing, I mean it's not like I've never driven in snow before, I lived in Utah for four years during college! I was freaking out about it, but J finally just told me to forget about it for now, get out and enjoy the snow with the boys and we would worry about it later. He was right, what else could we do with 3 crazy boys practically bursting with excitement to get out in the fluffy white stuff? So we got out, and within about 5 minutes I also managed to step in icy slush water past my ankle. If I had appropriate snow boots that would be no problem. But we desert dwellers don't own things like that, which meant I was wearing skate shoes. Which meant my foot was basically an ice cube for the next hour. But we still had fun!

B pretty much went crazy in the snow. He was rolling around in it, diving in it, throwing it up in the air, could NOT get enough of it. After about 45 minutes he stopped, looked at me with a look of total shock and suddenly screamed, "I'M COLD!!!" I couldn't help but laugh!
T was a sledding maniac. At one point I couldn't find where he was, turned around just in time to see him flying down the hill on the sled. He had drug it up by himself, positioned it, got in, and away he went! My little adrenaline junkie.
S wasn't sure what to think. At first he had fun running around crunching on the snow. We didn't have gloves that fit him so I just sort of put some over his hands anyway. Eventually he did touch the snow, and his hands got cold. Then he was just screaming looking at me like, "Mommy!! What is happening!? Fix it!" But before that he was very cute in the snow:
All in all, it was a pretty fun trip. It all ended happily when we got back to the van, and this VERY NICE man drove by in his huge 4X4 truck, rolled down his window, and asked me something in Spanish. I have no idea what he said but I frantically said, "Yes! Yes! We need help! We're stuck!" This awesome guy who didn't speak a word of English, spent 15 minutes getting down in the mud and ice, hooked our van up to his truck, and towed us out! We tried to give him money and he wouldn't accept it. I'm going to remember that for a long time. Hopefully I'll get the chance to pay it forward.
After all that, I can now check this off my list of life experiences my boys must have. They have seen snow!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I love the last photo! It needs to be your new header picture!! TOo Cute!

P.S. i didn't know it snowed in AZ? You learn something new everyday!

~Penny~ said...

I am always amazed when people for AZ and Texas talk about snow. It just doesn't register with me!

I take the snow for granted being up her in the Northeast. God I love it!

Great picture, the boys are adorable:)

Unknown said...

What a fun experience! I'm glad you got to play in some some this winter - I know how you miss it.

Denisse said...

You guys are such a cute family and YOU Christy are an awesome mom! I bet the kids had such a fun time in the snow and it was a memorable family activity! That's great that you got to go and do that...and even if the younger ones won't remember at least now you have the pictures to prove it!!!:)