Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I Am Mother

I've been thinking a lot lately. I know I know...it's kind of scary.

A few months ago, I got in contact with an old college roommate I had lost touch with. She is now married and has 2 little boys, very close in age. We exchanged a couple Facebook messages and found each other's blogs. I told her that even though her kids were close in age, she is going to love it. Some time went by, and then she messaged back:

"so, i read your blog and you said they fight all the time. which is it? cuz it doesn't sound like you love it. "

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this message. Does my blog make it sound like I don't love it? Does it sound like my kids drive me insane? Does it sound like I'm not enjoying my time with my children? I really hope not.

I'll admit it, my boys DO drive me crazy. Yes, most days my house is a mess that I'm constantly trying to clean up. Yes, they fight with each other every day. Yes, it's hard. I had 3 boys in a little over 4 years!! But would I have done it any differently if I were to go back? Would I have spaced my kids out more? Should I have waited till I was older? Started when I was younger?

No, I wouldn't have done it any differently. My boys LOVE each other. They will literally give each other bloody noses, then when I come in to break it up and they each get in trouble, they are defending each other and getting mad at ME! They whisper jokes and secrets to each other, and sneak into each other's rooms to play at 5:00 A.M. They miss each other when they're at their different schools. They cry when the other is sad. "T" waits outside for "B's" bus to bring him home every afternoon. "B" cheers "T" on and shouts encouragement during his soccer games on Saturdays.

Am I tired? Yes, you have no idea! Some days I wake up and wonder how I can find the energy to do what I have to do that day. I think of all the laundry, the cleaning that is NEVER caught up, the pee all over the toilet, the diaper changes, the snot wiped all over my couches, the 5 billion toys underfoot, the grocery shopping, the cooking, (I could go on but I won't, you get the idea). Not to mention the fact that I work (I mean actual paying work...) every afternoon while my kids take a nap. There is literally NO down time! But if anyone asks me how I feel about being a mother, I will say without hesitation, I love it. I would not, could not trade it for anything.

My biggest fear is that I'm missing it all. People always tell me, "It goes by so fast...enjoy it while you can." And that's exactly what I'm afraid of! Time is flying. Am I going to remember all the funny things they say? The intensity on T's face while he's telling me a crazy dream he had, the twinkle of B's blue eyes while he tells me a joke he heard at school, S's mischievous expression while he steals one of his older brother's toys and then runs away as fast as he can?

Who cares if the house is clean!! Who cares if we eat hot dogs AGAIN for dinner tonight! Who cares if I make it to the store for that amazing sale! I need to make sure I enjoy this craziness. And I promise you, I do enjoy it. Every day I pray that I can be the mother they deserve to have, and that I will be grateful that I have the opportunity to be a mother.

(I hate this picture of me, but my boys are adorable.)

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less.”
-Anna Quindlen

8 comments:

Denisse said...

Christy, for the record, I've ALWAYS gotten the impression that you enjoy motherhood and that you are a good mom. When I read your blog, I especially sense your positivism and I admire it.

Children fight, moms lose it once in a while, our houses are messy, dinner is not always this perfectly balanced meals, there's pee on the toilet (ha ha! that happens here too):) etc, etc...but just because we write it on a blog or journal (or complain to my husband about it), doesn't mean we don't enjoy motherhood...it would be unrealistic to write just wonderful things and try to portray a little perfect life that NOBODY has and not share some of the chaos that sometimes goes on.

When my kids read my blog/journal when they are older I WANT them to know of the sacrifices that I made to raise them. I don't want them to have an unrealistic expectation of what motherhood/parenthood should be.

Like Elder Ballard said, "the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction."...sometimes those shining moments of joy are far in between the frustrations and challenges. But they are there and those small moments is what makes motherhood worth it.

Anyway, I can go on and on...but for what it's worth I think you are awesome Christy!

Denisse said...

sorry that was so long!:)

Terina said...

great post! I think thats every mothers fear...we're going to miss it all! Oh and no you dont sound like you hate beig a mommy o your blog, you just sound real!

wendy said...

I have never gotten that impression reading your blog! Motherhood is the hardest job there is and we put way too much pressure on ourselves as it is. If you only talked about the good times and 'how wonderful life is' that would be so boring! We all learn from each other and it is nice to know that we all share the same struggles. You are amazing!

Kori Ann said...

i have never gotten that impression either! i love reading your blog because you do seem to enjoy the craziness, more than i do and it reminds me to try and enjoy the crazy, loud mess that my house is! And enjoy playing video games with Elijah and listen to Chloe prattle on and on because someday she won't talk to me! Great reminder!

~Penny~ said...

I have always gotten the impression that you have your hands full with your boys, they are amazing and tough, you are exhausted but you love every minute of it!

The thing about blogs, is sometimes they catch the emotional side of us. The side we want to get out but don't really talk about in our real lives.

I think the cardinal rule of blogging was broken. There should never be any judgements on what is written!

Jules AF said...

I've never thought it sounded like your kids fight all the time!

Anonymous said...

free movie format converter [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_the_minis/]the minis[/url] pokemon first movie veoh http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_brutal/ yahoo movie times
stardust and movie [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_primeval/]primeval[/url] slingshot movie scenes http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_funny_money/ x movie engine
ryan and tatum oneil movie [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_super_sweet_16_the_movie/]super sweet 16 the movie[/url] movie shorts
new dvd movie releases [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_julia/]julia[/url] movie bourne memorandum http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_sinbad_and_the_eye_of_the_tiger/ movie theaters
movie and pizza clip art [url=http://moviestrawberry.com/films/film_the_last_word/]the last word[/url] green bay movie theaters http://moviestrawberry.com/countries/?page=68 jennifer lopez movie