Saturday, December 12, 2009

Happy Adoptiversary!

Last Friday I surprised my dad by taking him out to lunch. The occasion? 25 years ago, he legally adopted me. Now I don't have any anger or issues with my biological father, he gave up his parental rights and I'm glad he did. I do still have a relationship with him but it's not a father/daughter relationship, I consider him more of like an uncle, or a friend. When my "step-dad" legally adopted me, he became my father in every sense of the word.

Imagine getting married your senior year in college, and immediately having two children to financially support? Not many men would do that, but he did. Imagine being the youngest in your family, knowing nothing about children, and yet suddenly being responsible for raising two? Yeah, he did that. Sure we had our ups and downs as I was growing up. And as he told me during our lunch date, he had no idea what he was doing a lot of the time. But he taught me how to be responsible, how to work hard, how to think for yourself, and the list could go on and on! He is a listening ear when something goes wrong or I need advice. And I can't count the times he's been at my house helping in the yard, moving furniture, or fixing whatever needs fixing!

Anyway, I just want to say, Happy Adoptiversary Dad! I love you!
P.S. No, that's not Chuck Norris.

7 comments:

Denisse said...

Christy, what a wonderful blessing...your post made me teary-eyed!

He DOES look like Chuck Norris! wow!:)

Jules AF said...

Your P.S. genuinely made me laugh out loud.

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Very sweet!!! I am glad you were blessed with a great dad!!

P.S. I know he isn't the REAL Chuck Norris just a stunt double, but I think that is still pretty cool. :)

~Penny~ said...

I just literally laughed outloud at your PS. This was a great post.

Happy Adoptiversary!

Alicia Curtis said...

Thats so cool. We really like having your dad in our family - he's definitely one of my very favorite uncles. And what a great guy for your mom and your family! He's awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

I am usually a day late and a dollar short...I didn't know this! I think it's awesome and loved this post. I love the Chuck Norris comment! That's what I first thought when I met him. I am thankful to your awesome dad for taking Mark in and teaching him the Jujitsu he now knows. He loves it.